[Instead of Saturday at noon, the meetup will be on SUNDAY at 12:30. It is still at Amma. Please be noting date and time change-- thanks. ]
But first, a rushed write-up of what went down last time:
- Icebreaker: The battle of the Jessicas- who is hotter, Alba or Biel? There were two poultry-submitted abstentions.
- Adorable Munish changed his vote when he realized he was, in fact, supporting an Alumna of Seventh Heaven: â€œI thought you meant the woman from Flashdance!â€
- Once we started playing, â€œWho has the tiniest aptâ€ after one of you suggested having meetups in our homes, Jay said we should have used THAT as the icebreakerâ€”â€œHi, Iâ€™m ___ and I have 400 sq ft!â€
- It was the reverse of our college years– Southies Reprazent!
- There was a minor TamBrahm crisis when we discovered that Amma had run out of vada, for the first time in nine years.
- I was smacked. Thrice. By our waiter. You canâ€™t put a price on that kind of abuse.
- Two of the above three spankings occurred as THIRTEEN more people than the sixteen we expected showed.
- Once we ran out of table space: â€œStart sitting on laps. Sigh. I guess I’ll begin.â€ Plop.
- What is UP with the lack of RSVPing, meetup-crashers: â€œThis isnâ€™t a wedding, people!â€
- Murthyâ€™s Law: Next time, we should reserve the entire restaurant. That way no one will show.
- We actually had to turn people away, for lack of space.
- Canâ€™t make it to the bathroom to wash your hands? Use the â€œIndian Faucetâ€ a.k.a. a poorly-approximated finger bowl via drinking glass
- Subcontinental Drift (we love you!)â€˜s MySpace page might induce seizures.
- Me to Jay (of the blog Weaselplasty) â€œAll our friends are apparently stand-up comics (and they performed at SD)â€
- Said one, â€œTortoise porn is available on YouTube.â€ Said the Terp, all dismissively, â€œI know about THAT”, as the rest of us exhibited the proper reaction to that statement, which is shock and horror.
- One attendee confessed that while this meetup was fabulous, they had â€œhobbit envyâ€ about Houston.
- Library Science: it gets no respect
- Second Best line of the meetup: â€œWhy are men always giving me money and then leaving?â€
- A Tamil girl who was raised in Bombay tried to reconcile her identities by saying…she was like a â€œpaneer dosaâ€
- Paneer Dosa has said she will be at the June meetup; that way you can mock her for her metaphor in person!
- I ordered two Salt Lassis and four Madras Kappis. I received ONE Madras Kappi.
- Lemon Rice for me, dosas for EVERYONE ELSE
- Best line of the meetup: â€œYour picture on Shaadi.com was so much better!â€
- More on Sunny Leone and the greatness of snuff films.
- Despite our most obnoxious attempts to be porntastic in order to clear the restaurant, so more of us could be seated, the packed place wasnâ€™t bothered at all by our antics. Contrast this with Heritage India, where we sent them screaming out the door. It would appear that South Indian families are immune to our offensiveness.
Now, after reading the merriment-filled minutes of our last meetup, who feels like getting together again for more? I’m craving dosa and you, well, after I published this post, I learned that you are ALL craving dosa, ALL the time.
WHERE: Amma’s Vegetarian Kitchen, 3291 M St. NW, Washington, DC 20007, 202-625-6625
WHEN: SUNDAY, JULY 1. 12:30 PM.
WHY: Because you nosy little monkeys want to pepper me for non-existant gossip about the Mutiny.
Think of it as a post-Subcontinental Drift “survivors’ brunch”. Kill your hangover with Madras Kappi and Rasam!
As for New York…Maybe mid-late July?
San Francisco? End of August, we’ll keep you posted.